Forbes: Champions Cup Attendance And Demand For Tickets Show Enthusiasm For Soccer In U.S.
August 5, 2014
Yesterday we published an article on Forbes talking about the Champions Cup Final in Miami on Monday night. Here is some of that article:
Despite the United States' loss in last month’s World Cup, Soccer is alive and well in the United States. If you need evidence, look no further than the the Guinness International Champions Cup. Over the last two weeks, close to 1 million fans have witnessed the second-ever Champions Cup. That’s roughly double last year’s final attendance of 492,575. The biggest draw of the tournament was at Michigan Stadium and broke the all-time attendance for a soccer game in the United States. At 109,318, the semi-finals match was between Manchester United and Real Madrid, and broke the previous record which had belonged to the 1984 Olympic finals between Brazil and France. That game was at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California and drew 101,799 fans.
It’s quite a statement about the state of the World’s Game in America when over 100,000 pay an average of $271 on the secondary market to see an exhibition match. That was by far the most expensive match of the tournament and over $100 more expensive than the second-most expensive game, at Yankee Stadium. Overall, the tournament had an average of $139 across the 13 matches. After Yankee Stadium, FedEx Field was the third most expensive match. The cheapest match according to the secondary market was in Philadelphia at Lincoln Financial Field, which had an average price of $86. As a point of reference the most expensive game this season on was on theSounders schedule against the Timbers, at an average of $111.
Click here to read the rest of the article. Also, here is a list of all matches for the tournament, and their average prices:
Here's a look at all games of this year's Champions Cup:
- 8/2/14 - Inter Milan vs. AS Roma @ Lincoln Financial Field: $96.69
- 8/4/14 - Liverpool vs. Manchester United @ Sun Life Stadium: $103.54
- 7/24/14 - Olympiacos vs. AC Milan @ BMO Field: $106.65
- 7/27/14 - AC Milan vs. Manchester City @ Heinz Field: $106.84
- 7/27/14 - Liverpool vs. Olympiacos @ Soldier Field: $111.25
- 8/2/14 - Manchester City vs. Olympiacos @ TCF Bank Stadium: $115.58
- 7/26/14 - Real Madrid CF vs. FC Inter Milan @ Memorial Stadium: $127.02
- 7/29/14 - Real Madrid vs. AS Roma @ Cotton Bowl Stadium: $127.16
- 8/2/14 - Liverpool vs. AC Milan @ Bank Of America Stadium: $144.65
- 7/29/14 - Inter Milan vs. Manchester United @ Fedex Field: $145.51
- 7/26/14 - Real Madrid vs. Inter Milan @ University Of Phoenix Stadium: $175.89
- 7/30/14 - Liverpool vs. Manchester City @ Yankee Stadium: $176.18
- 8/2/14 - Manchester United vs. Real Madrid @ Michigan Stadium: $271.34